Skip to content.

City and County of San Francisco
Municipal Transportation Agency
Citizens’ Advisory Council

Thursday, July 7, 2011, at 5:30 p.m.
1 South Van Ness Avenue, Room 3074
San Francisco, California


  • Call to Order:
    Chairman Murphy called the meeting to order at 5:35 p.m. 
  • Roll Call:

SFMTA CAC members present at Roll Call:  Mark Ballew, Art Cimento, Steve Ferrario, Katie Haverkamp, Daniel Murphy, Greg Riessen, Marc Salomon, Susan Vaughan, Dorris Vincent, and Dan Weaver

SFMTA CAC members absent at Roll Call:  Joan Downey and Jamison Wieser

SFMTA CAC members absent:  Mary Burns and Griffith Humphrey

  • Announcement of prohibition of sound producing devices during the meeting.

The CAC Secretary made the announcement.

Joan Downey arrived at 5:37 p.m.

Jamison Wieser arrived at 5:39 p.m.

  • Approval of Minutes: 

On motion to approve the minutes of June 2, 2011:  Approved

Ayes – Ballew, Cimento, Downey, Ferrario, Haverkamp, Murphy, Riessen, Salomon, Vaughan, Vincent, Weaver, and Wieser
Absent – Burns and Humphrey

Public Comment:


  • Report of the Chair (For discussion only):

Chairman Murphy introduced Acting Executive Director/CEO Debra Johnson. 

Chairman Murphy introduced two new CAC members, Mark Ballew and Marc Salomon.  Mr. Ballew stated he is on the board of Rescue Muni and that he’s lived in San Francisco for six years.  Mr. Ballew lives in the Twin Peaks neighborhood.

Mr. Salomon stated that he rides a bicycle, has served on the TEP planning task force, and is interested in land use, housing and bicycling.

Chairman Murphy acknowledged Director Bruce Oka’s visit to the CAC meeting.

Public Comment:


  • Public Comment: 

John Haley stated that staff is in the process of testing of LRV switchbacks since it has been a concern.  Staff will be more aggressive to consistently communicate with passengers.  Staff will synchronize signage on the cars and with metro station announcements when there is a change in destination.

John Han stated San Francisco’s modes of transportation are Muni, taxi cabs, and walking.  He believes that taxi drivers do not get a lot of representation and there is a strong demand for more taxi cabs.  Service improvement does not mean putting more cabs on the streets.  If more taxi cabs are going to be put out, Mr. Han urged the CAC to improve dispatch service.  Mr. Han stated that the Open Taxi access program was tabled by political influence.

Rua Graffis stated that Mr. Han’s issues are important for taxi drivers.  Taxi drivers are being charged up to 5% due to passengers who use their credit cards.

  • Election of CAC Chair

Chairman Murphy stated that at a time of leadership transition, a relationship will have to be built with interim leadership and new leadership in a number of months.  Chairman Murphy stated his priorities and building leadership with the CAC and with the three executive directors that he has served as Chair under. 

Council member Ferrario nominated Daniel Murphy for Chair, seconded by Council member Wieser.

Public Comment:

David Pilpel expressed support for Chairman Murphy.  He stated that the CAC was not taken seriously early on, but in the last few years, Chairman Murphy has made good policy choices and has done a good job communicating with the Board.

On motion to approve Daniel Murphy as Chairman:  Approved

Ayes – Ballew, Cimento, Downey, Ferrario, Haverkamp, Murphy, Riessen, Salomon, Vaughan, Vincent, Weaver, and Wieser
Absent – Burns and Humphrey

  • Election of CAC Vice Chair

Council member Vincent nominated Dan Weaver for Vice Chairman, seconded by Council member Cimento.

Public Comment:


On motion to approve Dan Weaver as Vice Chairman:  Approved

Ayes – Ballew, Cimento, Downey, Ferrario, Haverkamp, Murphy, Riessen, Salomon, Vaughan, Vincent, Weaver, and Wieser
Absent – Burns and Humphrey

  • Discussion and possible action regarding desired qualities and attributes for the next Executive Director/CEO.

Chairman Murphy led the CAC in a discussion regarding attributes and qualities for the next Executive Director/CEO.  Roberta Boomer, Council Liaison, stated that a survey will be distributed to the CAC for their input.

The Council identified the following list of attributes for the next Executive Director/CEO:

1.   Transit experience – Credibility

2.   Commitment to TEP

3.   Commitment to maximize use of Prop G flexibility

4.   Commitment to Transit First & 85% On-Time Goal

5.   Professional experience in modes other than mass transit

6.   Political skill to leverage the independence of SFMTA Board

7.   Able to make Agency a leader in planning with other agencies

8.   Knowledge of S.F. the region, MTC, ABAG, etc.

      9.   Leader who has ability to say no.  Decisive.

        10. Experience outside U.S.

         11. Communication skills with public

         12. Commitment to transparency

         13. Commitment to disability issues

14. Ability to build leadership team and get leadership to buy into Agency’s agenda

         15. Ability to change an organization

        16. Ability to address morale issues

        17. Ability to manage up on behalf of stakeholders

        18. Commitment to y to serve disadvantaged communities

        19. Raising money for the Agency

Public Comment:

Rua Graffis expressed agreement that the new Director should communicate better with the public.  People feel that their input is necessary and important.  Respect is important.  The new Director should have a public policy background besides transport and transportation experience. 

David Pilpel agreed with thoughts regarding management experience versus transit experience.  He believes the new Director should be someone who can macromanage the Agency; achieve on-time performance; be a champion for things people care about; appreciate front line workers; and can relate to and be supportive of staff.

John Han stated the new Director should have both management skills as well as transit experience.  Mr. Han expressed agreement to look for someone who has transit and public policy experience.

Olly Graves expressed interest in someone who will have a long-term interest in the position.

  • Discussion and possible action regarding recommendations from the Taxi Committee.

Motion 110228.01

The SFMTA CAC recommends that curb access within the bicycle lanes, be allowed for vehicles in order to load and unload passengers.  This is especially important as it pertains to taxi cabs and other ADA-related vehicles.

      Council member Ferrario stated that the design of the bicycle lane on 9th & 10th Street on Market Street does not provide curb side access for loading and unloading persons in taxi cabs and paratransit vehicles.

      Chairman Murphy stated that this motion will be continued in order to secure information regarding ADA requirements for curb side vehicle access.

      Public Comment:

      Rua Griffin stated that the issue of taxi drivers in bike lanes has been discussed at a paratransit coordination council meeting.   If taxis hit safety posts along bike lanes, the driver is responsible for repair costs.

      John Han stated that the motion is inappropriate and the language should be more specific.  He recommends adding “authorized public transit vehicles”.


  • Presentation, discussion and possible action regarding the Transit Workers Union (TWU) Local 250-A (9163 Transit Operators) agreement. (Don Ellison, Administration, Taxis & Accessible Services)

Chris Iborra, Labor Relations Manager, Labor Relations Unit, discussed changes to the TWU Local 250-A’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, including:

  • The terms of agreement
  • Past practices and side letters
  • Operator bus wages
  • Salary, step schedule, and training pay
  • Contributions to dental and health benefits
  • Retirement contribution
  • Extra board personnel
  • Scheduling service
  • General Sign-Up
  • Discipline and grievance procedures
  • Wellness Program
  • Accident Review Board

The annual cost savings of the contract is predicted to be $1M.

In response to CAC questions, John Haley replied that this is an evolving process and change will not happen overnight.  Some of the implementations may occur in the next few months.  This is a positive step forward.  Because of flexibility in the schedule, staff will be able to provide more adjustable service.

Public Comment:

Matt West, Accessible Services, stated that he can assist with the need for passenger education.

  • Discussion and possible action regarding allowing bicycles on light rail vehicles (LRVs).  (John Haley, Director, Transit Services)

Mr. Haley stated that he was open to comments and suggestions regarding bicycles on LRVs.  He stated that there is not enough space; trains can be crowded; and service issues, to allow for bicycles on LRVs.  Mr. Haley referred to a 2006 study regarding space issues with bicycles on LRVs.   He will provide a copy of the study to the Council and offered to take council members to the Green Division to inspect an LRV with bicycle(s) aboard.

Public Comment:


  • Discussion and possible action regarding the CAC Taxi Committee.

(This item is continued from the June 2, 2011 meeting.)

Chairman Murphy stated that there is a proposal on the table regarding the four available seats on the Taxi Committee, but it has been put on the shelf for a while. Council member Ferrario proposed to continue this item to the September CAC meeting.

Public Comment:


  • Committee Members’ requests for information.  (For discussion only)
  • Art Cimento would like a copy of the Civil Grand Jury Report on the Central Subway project.  He would also like to know staff’s response.
  • Marc Salomon would like an update on the Geary BRT project.
  • Joan Downey would like to know if outbound N Judah information can be added to the NextBus sign at Carl and Cole, on the northeast side, at the 37 Corbett and 43 Masonic stop.
  • Katie Haverkamp would like to know what is being done with regard to announcements for passengers who are hearing impaired.
  • Marc Salomon asked how the SFMTA bicycle division prioritizes and plans its work.
  • Daniel Murphy would like to know the ADA requirements with regard to curb side access and loading and unloading from taxis and other paratransit vehicles, particularly between 9th & 10th Street on Market Street.
  •  Schedule upcoming calendar items.  (For discussion only)
    Next regular meeting:  Thursday,  August 4, 2011, at 5:30 p.m.
    1 South Van Ness Avenue, 3rd Floor, Conference Room 3074

Accessible meeting policy – One South Van Ness Avenue

ADJOURN:  The meeting was adjourned at 9:12 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by:
Yvette Torres
SFMTA CAC - Secretary



Accessible meeting policy – One South Van Ness Avenue

telephone311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย


©2000-2013 San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. All rights reserved.