SFMTA Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) > EMSC January 30, 2008, minutes
City and County of San Francisco
Engineering, Maintenance & Safety Committee (EMSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 3:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order / Roll Call: Chairman Weaver called the meeting to order at 3:01 p.m.
EMSC Members present at Roll Call: Daniel Weaver (Chairman), Steve Ferrario and Bruce Oka.
OCSC Members present, but absent at Roll Call: Jamison Wieser arrived at 3:02 p.m.
EMSC Members absent: None.
SFMTA CAC Members, not on this committee, but also present: Norman Rolfe
SFMTA staff: Murray Bond (Deputy Director for Strategic Communications), Don Gee (Chief Mechanical Officer - Bus Maintenance), Elson Hao (Senior Vehicle Engineer) and Debra Reed (CAC Secretary).
2. Adopt minutes of November 14, 2007:
Motion to adopt minutes: unanimously approved. (Ayes – Weaver (Chairman), Ferrario, Oka and Wieser)
3. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda: None
4. Report of the Chairman: Dan Weaver
Chairman Weaver rescheduled the EMSC meetings to the fourth Wednesday of the month at 4:00 p.m.
5. Update on NextMuni (Discussion/Action) Frank Lau
Frank Lau was not available to attend the meeting.
6. Communications Plan (Discussion/ Action) Murray Bond
Mr. Bond said that he will be launching a safety campaign that will alert passengers to safe behavior while riding transit by Winter 2008.
Chairman Weaver and Jamison Wieser will be participating in a scan project of current safety messages used on and around transit, scheduled on January 31, 2008.
The E-Alert subscription service for transit delays and street closures will be ready for testing in March 2008.
Questions and Comments
Jamison Wieser said that he supported last year’s revenue generating idea from Sonali Bose (SFMTA CFO/Director of Finance and Administration) to have the SFMTA provide vending machines and ATMs. Chairman Weaver suggested dispensing parking cards and fast passes.
Mr. Wieser suggested selling naming rights for Metro stations.
7. FY 08/09 Budget for Maintenance and Operations (Discussion/ Action) Don Gee and Elson Hao.
Don Gee said that the NABI buses have been reliable vehicles. Since NABI buses were beyond their midlife age, they have submitted a request to Finance to transfer the $4.3 million allocated for overhauling those buses to a fund for purchasing equipment. Equipment could then be purchased to rehabilitate Neoplan buses.
Mr. Elson said that he submitted a proposal to Ken McDonald for a $200 million midlife overhaul program for light rail vehicles to be used over a seven-year period.
Questions and Comments
Jamison Wieser suggested teaming with other transit agencies to get better pricing for bulk vehicle purchases.
8. Light Rail Vehicles on Market Street (Discussion/Action) John Byrd
Steve Ferrario asked about rewiring Market Street to support light rail vehicles in case of a major service disruption in the tunnel. Mr. Byrd discussed several solutions. He agreed to bring cost estimates to the next EMSC.
9. Committee Members’ Questions/Information Requests: (Discussion)
10. Agenda Planning for the Next Regular Meeting Tentatively Scheduled:
Next regular meeting: February 27, 2008, at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075, at 4:00 p.m.
• Light Rail Vehicles on Market Street and Eureka Portal rebuild (John Byrd)
• NextMuni (Frank Lau)
• Rubber Tire procurement (Don Gee)
11. Adjournment: 5:20 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย
©2000-2013 San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. All rights reserved.