City and County of San Francisco
Municipal Transportation Agency
Citizens’ Advisory Council (SFMTA CAC)
Engineering, Maintenance and Safety Committee (EMSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 4:00 p.m.
1 South Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075
San Francisco, California
1. Call to Order / Roll Call: Chairman Weaver called the meeting to order at 4:08 p.m.
EMSC Members present at Roll Call: Steve Ferrario, Daniel Weaver and Jamison Wieser.
EMSC Members absent: Greg Riessen
SFMTA CAC Members, not on this committee, but also present: Norman Rolfe and Ruth Wheeler
2. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda: None
3. Adopt minutes of September 24, 2008:
On motion to adopt the minutes of September 24, 2008: Adopted: Ayes – Ferrario, Weaver and Wieser (Absent – Riessen)
4. Report of the Chairman: Dan Weaver
No report was presented
5. Streetcar Acquisition Plan (Discussion/ Action) Darton Ito
Darton Ito, Manager, Long Range Planning, stated that there are no specific acquisition plans. Historic cars are acquired as the Agency becomes aware of them. The TEP’s recommendation to establish the E-line along the Embarcadero from the Caltrain Station to Fisherman’s Wharf and the proposal to extend either the F or the E-line beyond Fisherman’s Wharf to the Fort Mason Center may require rehabilitating the existing fleet or purchasing new vehicles.
Plans to purchase 24 LRVs are tied with the opening of the new Central Subway in 2030. The SFMTA plans to purchase four new LRVs for the Central Subway, ten LRVs for the J, K, L and N-line expansions and ten LRVs as part of the Third Street project to extend the M-line to the Mission Bay loop.
6. BART’s Earthquake Upgrade at the SFMTA Church Street Station (Discussion/Action) Jay Lu, Catherine Westphall, Molly McArthur,
Catherine Westphall, Community Relations Manager for BART’s Earthquake Safety Program, stated that BART owns several SFMTA operated subway facilities. A portion of the funding from the BART Earthquake Safety Bond, Measure AA, will be used for earthquake upgrades at the SFMTA’s Church Street station. Construction scheduled for December 2008 is expected to be completed by May 2009. Flyers, posters, neighborhood mailings and a website at www.BART.gov\earthquake will inform patrons about service disruptions. BART’s community representative is Bianca Malory at 510-464-6189.
7. BART’s Market Street Elevators Project (Discussion/ Action) Susan Gallagher, Molly Burke and Isaac Lim
Susan Gallagher, BART Manager of Accessible Services, stated that BART will be replacing the street-level elevator housings at Civic Center, Montgomery, Powell and Embarcadero. Each elevator will be out of service three and a half months. Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2009. Isaac Lim, BART Principle Civil Engineer, provided an overview of the elevator project.
Molly Burke, BART Principle Government and Community Relations Representative, provided an overview of BART’s outreach and mailing campaigns. She stated that more information will become available online at www.bart.gov. The hotline phone number for the status of the elevators is 1-888-235-3828. BART’s Accessible Services can also be reached at 1-510-464-6184.
8. E-Alert Project Update (Discussion/Action) Srecko Kahvedzic and Murray Bond
Murray Bond, Deputy Director of External Affairs, stated that E-Alert will be ready to launch in November 2008. E-Alert was not designed to accommodate the daily ops report; however, the Daily Ops report can be posted on the SFMTA public website. Srecko Kahvedzic, Operations Analyst, stated that he is working with IT staff to create a template for posting accident reports on the SFMTA website.
9. Committee Members’ Questions/Information Requests (Discussion)
10. Schedule Upcoming Meetings and Agenda Items (Discussion/Action)
Next regular meeting: November 26, 2008, at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075, at 4:00 p.m.
• Cross Traffic Does Not Stop sign – Bryant Woo and Tom Folks
• Damage Vehicles – Elson Hao
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:55 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
Accessible meeting policy – One South Van Ness Avenue
Debra J. Reed
SFMTA CAC - Secretary