SFMTA Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) > OCSC October 27, 2008, minutes
City and County of San Francisco
Operations & Customer Service Committee (OCSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 27, 2008 at 3:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order / Roll Call
OCSC Members present at Roll Call: Mary Burns and Joan Downey Norman Rolfe.
OCSC Members present, but absent at Roll Call: Daniel Murphy arrived at 3: 30 p.m.
2. Adopt Minutes of September 15, 2008:
On motion to adopt the minutes of September 15, 2008: Adopted: Ayes – Burns, Downey and Rolfe. (Absent – Murphy)
3. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda:
4. Report of the Chairman: Joan Downey
Chairman Downey reported that no one asked her for proof of payment when she road the cable car. Ms. Downey stated that she is no longer receiving the Daily Operations reports. Daniel Murphy stated that the reports were being revamped. CAC Secretary Debra Reed will follow up to verify the Ms. Downey is still on the distribution list for the Daily Operations Report.
5. Metro Operations Update (Discussion/Action) John Byrd and David Hill
John Byrd, Deputy Director, Rail Operations, gave an update on rail operations. Mr. Byrd gave an overview of the ongoing operator training program. Mr. Byrd stated that he has been working together with the Union, the operators, the inspectors and Central Control to focus on the evening commute. Re-sequencing trains is working well.
Operator staff for runs and extra boards is down from 353 to 335. Supervisor and superintendent numbers are down.
Mr. Byrd stated that line studies report that fare collection accrues significant delay time.
6. On-Time Performance plans (Discussion/Action) Samuel Lau and Mary Travis-Allen
Samuel Lau, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, stated that the TEP Automatic Passenger Counters provides very effective data to study ridership and on-time performance. It helps the SFMTA to understand where people are going, where and why buses are bogged down in areas, and which lines to pinpoint and prioritize for more resources. Divisions are conducting line by line studies with schedulers, parking enforcement personnel, and transit supervisors to examine transit conditions at various times of the day. Traffic Engineering, Enforcement and transit supervision will use snapshots of the lines to develop long term strategies for on-time fixes, such as, traffic bottle neck solutions, schedule adjustments, traffic signal timing changes, supervision for monitor peak periods and signups.
Mary Travis-Allen, Acting Senior Operations Manager, stated that some lines have a lot of issues. More operators are needed to resolve overcrowding and bunching. Mr. Lau stated that class size for new operator training has been increased to 50 students. Ms. Allen stated that Transit Only Lane Enforcement bus cameras are working and PCOs are enforcing transit-only lanes. Certain corridors have double parking issues, but education by talking to truck drivers and store owners along with random enforcement will bring about improved behavior.
7. Deadhead Bus Procedures (Discussion/Action) Sam Lau and Mary Travis-Allen
Samuel Lau, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, stated that the deadhead rule only applies to trolleys and LRVs, except in cases of mechanical problems. Fixed guide way vehicles carrying stranded passengers while deadheading to their designated garage facilities can alleviate crowding. Mr. Lau will issue a bulletin to remind operators about deadheading procedures.
8. Staff responses for Recommendations and Information Requests (Discussion/Action)
9. Committee Members’ Questions/Information Requests: (Discussion)
• Chairman Downey stated that she observed a car driving over the outbound bus bulb across the street from UCSF at Arguello and Irving. Either move the trash can closer to the curb or install a second stationary bollard.
• Chairman Downey wanted to know how much longer will the graffiti style ads be displayed on buses and have these ads invited more graffiti.
10. Schedule Upcoming Meeting and Agenda Items
• Cable Cars – Update on On-Time Performance - Ernesto Del Barrio
• Deployment of Parking Control Officers – Joy Houlihan
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:06 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย
©2000-2013 San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. All rights reserved.