City and County of San Francisco
Municipal Transportation Agency
Citizens’ Advisory Council
Operations and Customer Service Committee
Tuesday, November 8, 2011, at 3:00 p.m.
1 South Van Ness Avenue, Room 3075
San Francisco, California
1. Call to Order
Chairman Joan Downey called the meeting to order at 3:03 p.m.
2. Roll Call
OCSC members present at Roll Call: Joan Downey and Daniel Murphy
OCSC members absent at Roll Call: None
OCSC members absent: Mary Burns
SFMTA CAC members not on this committee, but also present: Mark Ballew
Chairman Downey appointed Mark Ballew to serve as Pro Tem
3. Announcement of prohibition of sound-producing devices during the meeting.
The CAC Secretary made the announcement.
4. Approval of Minutes:
Chairman Downey suggested that the fourth request under item #11, be revised to read, “Joan Downey stated that she has seen the success of the Nx Judah Express, but has not seen the report”.
On motion to approve the minutes of August 31, 2011: Approved as amended
Ayes – Downey and Murphy
Nayes – None
Absent – Burns
Edward Mason stated that his comment for item #9 should be modified to read as follows: “Edward Mason commented that he has noticed a cross-section of passengers using their Clipper card via the back door” as his first sentence.
5. Report of the chairman (For discussion only):
6. Public Comment:
7. Discussion regarding implementing the Enforcement Division’s strategic goals and issues. (Commander Lea Militello, Safety, Training & Enforcement Division)
Commander Militello discussed her history with the San Francisco Police Department prior to coming to the SFMTA. Commander Militello oversees Enforcement and Proof-of-Payment in the Safety, Training, Security & Enforcement Division. Commander Militello explained challenges and implementations in improving deployment strategies.
David Pilpel commented on passengers with pets and the pets fare payment.
Roland Wong inquired if POP personnel operates on a 24/7 basis. Commander Militello replied that POP personnel starts at 6 a.m. and finish at midnight.
Edward Mason stated that service animal signage on Muni was clearly posted over a decade ago. The published timetable booklets explained all regulations and fare instruments.
8. Presentation, discussion and possible action regarding the Passenger Service Reporting (PSR) process and trends. (Mary Travis-Allen, Transit Management)
Mary Travis-Allen discussed an overview of the Local 250-A contract and significant changes to the PSR process. Because of new technology and on-board video camera, staff has the ability to review complaints. Ms. Travis-Allen stated that quarterly reports are done on PSRs.
Roland Wong stated that operators are still not calling out stops and that people with seeing disabilities do not have a sense of where they are.
David Pilpel commented on the organization structure. Mr. Pilpel inquired if Ken Anderson, who does training for Muni, has been to an OCSC meeting lately and who does Mr. Anderson train.
9. Discussion and possible action regarding the bunching of trains. (John Haley, Director, Transit Management)
John Haley discussed the causes of bunching of the trains on the system. Mr. Haley stated that there are many open runs on the rail side, particularly in the afternoon. Doors and step problems have also contributed to delays in service. Mr. Haley stated that staff is in the process of working with a contractor to repair wrecked vehicles to place back in service.
Roland Wong commented on his recent experience regarding switchbacks on the L Taraval from the zoo and how it delayed him. Since he is a wheelchair passenger, the location of bus stops with wayside boarding along Taraval are few.
David Pilpel commented that the inbound L should not be switched back if there is a wheelchair passenger on board.
10. Discussion and possible action regarding daily operations report. (John Haley, Director, Transit Services)
This item is continued to the next meeting.
11. Committee members’ requests for information. (For discussion only)
- Mark Ballew would like to know about the bike plan and signage. He stated he was surprised by new bike lanes.
- 12. Schedule upcoming Meeting and Agenda Items. (For discussion only)
Next regular meeting: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 3:00 p.m.
1 South Van Ness Avenue, 3rd Floor (Conference Room 3075)
ADJORN: The meeting was adjourned at 5:41 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
SFMTA – CAC Secretary
Accessible meeting policy – One South Van Ness Avenue