SFMTA Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) > EMSC January 28, 2009, minutes
City and County of San Francisco
Engineering, Maintenance and Safety Committee (EMSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 4:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
EMSC Members present at Roll Call: Steve Ferrario, Greg Riessen and Daniel Weaver
EMSC Members absent: Jamison Wieser
SFMTA CAC Members not on this committee, but also present: Ruth Wheeler
2. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda: None
3. Adopt minutes of November 19, 2008
On motion to adopt the minutes of November 19, 2008: Adopted
4. Report of the Chairman: Dan Weaver
Chairman Weaver stated that the EMSC meeting for February 25, 2009 will be located at the Green Division, 425 Geneva Avenue, San Francisco.
5. Curb Cut Policies at Passenger Loading Zones (Discussion/Action) Ricardo Olea
Ricardo Olea, Engineer, Traffic and Engineering, stated that the SFMTA Parking and Traffic division handles permits for painting passenger loading zones. However, curb cuts are under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Works (DPW). DPW and the Mayor’s Office on Disability may require new building projects to include sidewalk changes for wheelchair accessible ramps.
6. Vehicle and Station video taping protocols (Discussion/Action) Ted Unaegbu and Emily Kretz
Ted Unaegbu, Manager, Security Administration, and Emily Kretz, Supervisor, Video Surveillance Program, gave an overview of the video taping process. Ms. Kretz stated that recordings can be requested through the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, after they are released by the San Francisco Police Department and vetted by the City Attorney.
7. Capital Projects Budget changes and funding for the Central Subway Project Design (Discussion/Action) John Funghi and Lewis Ames
John Funghi, Project Manager, Central Subway Program, stated that the budget deficit has not affected the Central Subway Project. The federal government has set aside $762 million for the project. The Federal Transportation Administration (FTA) will be conducting a Risk Assessment Workshop in February 2009. The approval to enter into the final design stage is anticipated in October 2009.
Steve Ferrario stated that he heard that all New Starts federal funding is being directed to the Central Subway. Lewis Ames, Project Manager, Transportation Planning and Development, stated that he was not aware that New Starts federal funding was not available for other New Starts projects. Mr. Funghi stated that the FTA funding is not discretionary. Funding cannot be used for other City of San Francisco sponsored projects. If the Central Subway is not approved by the FTA, then the funding would be re-assigned to other federal New Starts projects.
8. Maintenance and Repair plans for Historic Street Cars and Breda Light Rail Vehicles (Discussion/Action) Elson Hao
Elson Hao, Principle Engineer, Operations Engineering, stated that some of the historic cars were out of service due to water settling in the driver compartments. Four New Jersey historic cars have mechanical and electrical problems. Maintenance is expecting bids to fabricate outdated parts in February 2009. Rehabilitating the New Jersey cars will be followed by the overhaul of the Philadelphia (Morrison Knudson) cars.
$18 million from the federal stimulus package will be used for BREDA harnesses, couplers, air supply units and compressors.
9. Committee Members’ Questions/Information Requests (Discussion)
10. Schedule Upcoming Meetings and Agenda Items (Discussion/Action)
Next regular meeting: February 25, 2009, 425 Geneva Avenue, 2nd Floor, Room 244, San Francisco at 4:00 p.m.
• Balboa Park Tour
• Phasing in Muni Metro East and the future re-rail project at the Green Division
• Geneva Historic Car Enclosure
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:38 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย
©2000-2013 San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. All rights reserved.