City and County of San Francisco
Municipal Transportation Agency
Citizens’ Advisory Council
Operations & Customer Service Committee (OCSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 18, 2009 at 3:00 p.m.
1 South Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075
San Francisco, California
1. Call to Order / Roll Call
Chairman Joan Downey called the meeting to order at 3:03 p.m.
OCSC Members present at Roll Call: Mary Burns, Joan Downey, Daniel Murphy and Norman Rolfe
SFMTA CAC Members not on this committee, but also present: Ruth Wheeler
2. Adopt Minutes of February 23, 2009:
On motion to adopt the minutes of February 23, 2009: Adopted
Ayes – Burns, Downey, Murphy and Rolfe
3. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda: None.
4. Report of the Chairman: Joan Downey
5. Metro Operations Update: Frank Alejandro
Frank Alejandro, senior operations manager, Muni Operations, stated that on-time performance is improving. Absenteeism is being addressed. The training program for operators is being redesigned. He has asked for more instructors. The number of classes will increase by June 2009. Vehicle availability is averaging 120 - 122 cars. Economic stimulus money will be used for maintenance. He stated that Ken McDonald, chief officer, Muni Operations, authorized overtime for cleaning and graffiti abatement.
6. Speed Humps: Adam Gubser
Adam Gubser, Transit Planner, Traffic Calming, Parking and Traffic, stated that speed humps are one of several tools used to regulate traffic safety. The application for any traffic calming request is available at sfmta.com. When an application is received, property owners within the targeted block are invited to informational meetings. Following these meetings, ballots would be mailed to eligible residents for ratification. The project would then be scheduled for a public hearing. Speed humps are funded by the Proposition K half-cent sales tax.
7. Proposed FY10 Service Standards (Discussion/Action) Travis Fox
Travis Fox, manager, Administration, stated that staff is proposing to use the FY09 Service Standards as the FY10 Service Standards due to the uncertainty of the FY10 budget. There may be early revisions to FY10 Service Standards to reflect the FY10 budget.
8. Staff responses for Recommendations and Information Requests (Discussion/Action)
9. Committee Members’ Questions/Information Requests: (Discussion)
• Chairman Downey asked about fare inspectors using hand-held readers on Translink cards.
• Chairman Downey asked about a report that shows bus demand by route.
• Mary Burns asked about safety rails missing at the St. Francis Circle stop.
10. Schedule Upcoming Meeting and Agenda Items
Next regular meeting: June 15, 2009, at 1 So Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075, at 3:00 p.m.
- Procedures for city departments requesting assistance from the Parking and Traffic Division.
• Police presence on transit.
• Restrictions and guidelines for advertisement on SFMTA property.
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:21 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
Accessible meeting policy – One South Van Ness Avenue
Debra J. Reed
SFMTA CAC - Secretary